One item that is usually at the top of our clients wish list is to have their new space be functional and timeless. There are many ways to create a beautiful, up-to-date space that will look great for years to come. Read on for some helpful tips to get you started:
- Choose neutral colors like grays, whites and beige to set the overall tone and backdrop for your room. They can always be punctuated by trendier, vibrant colors which can be easily changed up over time.
- Avoid busy patterns for furniture, window treatments and rugs. Instead think classic patterns like botanicals, stripes and plaids. Using multiple patterns and textures in varying sizes in coordinating colors will produce an interesting, layered look. Generally speaking three coordinating patterns is plenty for timeless appeal.
- Emphasize architectural elements such as ceilings, arches, windows and woodwork. A beautiful window treatment or subtle paint with some luster can highlight while allowing the furnishings and décor to take center stage.
- Use natural elements like wood and stone as well as fibers such as jute and cotton. Not only do they have longevity but they’ll also add texture and interest to any space.
- Avoid making trendy choices on large or hard to replace items such as big furniture pieces, fixtures and appliances. Instead go neutral and add color and pattern accents with throws and accent pillows or pretty towels, dishes or accessories.
- Plants never go out of style and give a room life. Choose plants you can re-plant into new decorative planters down the road to “update” their look.
- And most of all – use trendy items sparingly and of course always choose only elements you love!